Because it’s Friday AGAIN. And because traditions are important. In which I cover the good stuff and the hard stuff in my week, trying for the non-preachy, non-annoying side of self-reflection.
And you get to join in if you feel like it.
We did it.
The first one hundred chickens.
And thank you for the sweet, insightful things you guys came up with on the 100 Chickens announcement regarding the art of chickening.
That was lovely.
The hard stuff
So tired that half my vacation has just been recovery mode.
Schleepy and out of focus.
Trying to catch up to myself.
And then a long troubled sleepless Monday night.
The timing. It was the wrongest.
I lost my temper.
And snapped at some poor kid.
She was probably thirteen. And had just discovered that when one rubs the edge of a wine glass with one’s finger, one can unleash a vibrate-ey ear-drum-piercing sound that echoes through the room.
And I let her re-discover it four or five excruciating times before I just couldn’t stand it anymore.
That was the first mistake: better not to wait until you’re considering aiming a plate at someone’s head.
Right. The first rule of being a Highly Sensitive Person: remove yourself from situations that cause the crazy.
Anyway, I am highly sensitive. And that unbearable sound was cutting into my soul. So I made her stop.
It was a little harsh. It was not the most sovereign behavior. I felt bad.
I still feel bad, actually.
Because then she was all slumped over and awkward, the way thirteen year olds are anyway, and I felt even more bad. And then the family left.
Sigh. I’m sorry, kid.
What can I say. Nothing that helps.
I’m a fairy, and fairies don’t do well with high-pitched noises. It’s no excuse.
I’m Israeli, and we don’t really censor ourselves. It’s no excuse.
Not long enough.
Stupid addictive vacationing.
I want more nothing!
The good stuff
Actually, I love napping.
So yeah, maybe it was kind of boring to go to bed at 8:30 and spend big chunks of the day in bed, but yay.
And as the week moved along, my strength came back, slowly but surely.
As it always does. Which I know. And forget.
(That sound you hear is me scribbling away in in the Book of Me.)
Deep blue sea.
Nothing to look at but all that blue.
This is what always restores my sanity. Getting my Piscean self across from wherever the water is.
All that water. Remembering. It’s good for me.
Straight into the Book of Me. Again.
All sorts of crazy insights and epiphanies.
As always happens, the act of Intentionally Not Working accidentally launched all sorts of ridiculously great project ideas.
So I’m coming back with an entire notebook of scribbled bits of goodness and newly minted techniques that I’m way too excited about.
The two Mary Russell novels I had on the iPhone.
Were my salvation on a desperate sleepless Monday night.
That and room service. Bless those people.
And bless Laurie King for being such a thoughtful, entertaining writer.
Saw a bald eagle.
And then it landed on a church spire, perched on the top of the cross and looked extremely pleased with itself.
I thought this one was going to go in the hard section, but it’s actually been really great.
The only time I had access to the internet this week was yesterday afternoon for a couple hours.
All the stuff I thought I’d miss? Nope. Not even slightly. The only thing I missed was checking in with you guys.
So I did this one day Shiva Nata teacher training in the beginning of June.
And now all the people who thought they weren’t ready and were never going to actually teach this stuff anyway are teaching it.
One of them even got a gig teaching it at a retreat.
Go go gadget neural-connections! And hooray for more Shivanauts in the world doing fabulous shivanautical things.
100 Chickens, people.
I honestly never thought this little weekly ritual thing would ever be anything that anyone would enjoy other than me.
(And a good from last week that I forgot.)
We had the brilliant Communicatrix (Colleen!) at my Kitchen Table program last week to do a call with us.
She said all sorts of smart, interesting, useful things that I’ve been playing with in my head.
Plus we got to talk in gangster voices. Feeling lucky and grateful that the thing I do for a living also gives me an excuse to hang out with people I admire and talk about stuff.
And … playing live at the meme beach house!
Yes, that’s a Stuism too.
My brother and I have this thing where we come up with ridiculous band names and then say in this really pretentious, knowing tone, “Oh, well, you know, it’s just one guy.”
This week it’s that one band.
They’re pretty good, actually. Except that it’s actually just one guy.
That’s it for me …
And yes yes yes, of course you can join in my Friday ritual right here in the comments bit if you feel like it.
Yeah? Anything hard and/or good happen in your week?
And, as always, have a glorrrrrrrrrrrrious day and a restful weekend-ing.
And a happy week to come. Shabbat shalom.
My niece in Pensacola lost her baby in the 2nd trimester this week. Wondering if it could have anything to do with the oil disaster.
Found out that the yoga studio I work for is expanding. Big yay in this economy! Growth in the face of fear.
As I work more on my yoga career, my day job–my corporate world job, what’s supposed to be my real career job–is taking off after years of being under-utilized and taken for granted. Big coincidence (being facetious) that it happens after I fulfilling myself teaching yoga.
100 chickens! They’re here and it’s Friday– hip hip hooray!
I’ll join. This week’s hard:
-So. Much. To do. Ack. Thank goodness it’s a holiday weekend so there are extra hours to work with…
-Minor crises affecting friends and relatives. Very little of it affects me directly, but sad to hear about. I wish the world would stop dumping bad things on nice people.
-It’s July. Oh dear. The Test Of Doom is at the end of this month. Oh dear.
-Occasionally forgetting that yes, I need to go to bed on time. Sigh. I keep doing this and then I wonder why I’m so tired… I guess part of me is just convinced that the day needs to be an hour and a half longer.
This week’s good:
-Pots! I spent all day in the studio yesterday and it was lovely. I’m going back this morning. Yay quiet and solitude and making things and general happiness. And sore legs and back, but that good kind of sore you get when you’ve been doing stuff.
-Planning for somewhere to go for three or four days after the Test Of Doom. I’m thinking somewhere with no laptop, no ringing phone, no dogs or stuff to trip over, and lots of napping opportunities. Looking forward to that even if I don’t know what exactly it’s going to be yet (maybe this should be a VPA..).
-Sunshine. I do love waking up without an alarm clock.
Hugs for hard and dances for the good (and extra, because 100 chickens is just that excellent). Happy Friday and happy weekend!
Oof the teenager angst thing. Honestly. teenagers can be so hard, communicating with them and you can’t ever tell if it’s what you said that’s making them collapse into themselves or if it’s what they’re thinking about.
Wow it’s here. 100 Chickens. I was actually singing the 100 Friday Chickens on a Wall song this morning while my computer booted up and giggling to myself.
So The Hard
– the ear weirdness ouchies
– the still not entirely
being able to, wanting to listen which if I would listen to the pleasant and the good (thanks Mrs. Hay) I would probably help the ear weirdness leave
– frustration at lack of desire to listen
– No TV, not that I watch the thing regularly but I live with two people who DO, regularly, even sleep with it on and right now, they are listening to the TV because the screen itself is a single 1/2 inch high colored line running across the center, which also means they are finding the most irritating ways to entertain themselves – oy vey
Now it’s funny after I look at all those hards, I see they aren’t really all that hard in a bad way. They reek more of a “buy in to” a compulsively consumptive nature of instant gratification…I digress and here is not the place or maybe it is…. I’ll refrain.
So The Good
– potential client I thought I’d lost with my “consultative ramblings” contacted me and we are doing work together YAY and double YAY
– mastermind call last night helped clear my decks of some things I’d been trying to do unsuccessfully
– this thing of 2’s is gaining more clarity
– consultative session for myself with someone I admire tomorrow
– total goodness because I am a Chickeneer of the High Seas and damn proud of it
– just generally finding that I do have happiness inside instead of seeking/needing it from external sources
Seriously pleased to be part of the 100th Chicken (and we shall call her… Century?… Centuria?)
Serious writing deadline freakout this week.
Don’t want to go back at the end of the summer. Inner four-year-old stomping her foot saying “but THIS feels like home. Not THAT.”
Look! All the rest of the week goes into the “good” category. That’s pretty fabulous in and of itself.
Made major progress saying out loud “I’m ready.”
Drafted a VPA to help that happen.
Saw bluebirds, ate the first blackberries and raspberries, watched the black raspberries ripen before my very eyes.
Saw friends and got writing done (balance! yay!).
Celebration wishes to everyone.
.-= Elizabeth´s last post … Something up her sleeve =-.
Gah! Do I ever need a Chicken right now.
Havi – I’m really glad to think of you getting some relaxing in. Also, totally (selfishly) freaked out about your mention of a sabbatical-that-isn’t-called-a-sabbatical the other day, because what would I do without you? But that’s just my stuff, of course. 🙂
Gah! I mentioned this in last week’s VPA’s, but I seriously woke up on Monday morning and my tiny sweet thing, which has been in the works foreverrr, was like “HI I AM READY NOW LET’S GO LET’S GO”. So I’ve been running around like a chicken (ha!) with my head cut off all week, getting a website up and re-reading half of IttyBiz and just generally scrambling to get things in place. Whew. So much going on. Exhausted.
The other side of the coin – to feel so utterly compelled to do something… I couldn’t have ignored it if I tried. So excited to see where this goes! Wheee. Also, unrelatedly, I’ve been Shiva-ing it up almost every morning, which is a new high in consistency for me. (Chances that these two things are actually unrelated: 0.00%).
Whew! I just woke up but I already need a nap. Ah well.
.-= Sarah Marmoset´s last post … Vulnerability =-.
My first ever Chicken!
Being sick all week, raging against the being sick thing and going to work anyway and being grumpy and getting sicker.
Eventually taking time out for bed rest then feeling frustrated and resentful about being “stuck” in bed and not having the energy to do anything.
The c-c-c-c-coldness of our flat in winter combined with our kitten knocking the “child lock” button on the heater and not being able to find the manual to work out how to take the “child lock” off so I could turn the heater on!
Finally surrendering to the whole bed rest thing and enjoying being in a doona-cocooned world
The bread and butter pudding I made before the onset of the sick (bread soaked in espresso, choc chips between layers and lots of custard) Heaven!
My two pussy cats sleeping with me and acting as little furry heaters – so lovely
Prodigal chickeneer chicken in! (Snigger)
Fantastical, wonderful nonemergency Pirate Queen Vacation. How marvellous. Seriously – am a bit jealous, sounds like just what I need.
EVERYTHING!Well, perhaps not, but boyohboyohboy did it feel like it.
First there was the moving – which caused much heartached. Oof. Then there was the lugging, which caused much back ache and tired.
Which brings us onto the tired – okay so I KNOW I’m rubbish on lack of sleep. It’s like my arms and legs are all going in seperate directions from eachother, only emotionally. I cannae cope.
Topped with my poor boss, who is just trying his best and failing so hard to be the “manager” he wants to be.
Also there is me who has no desire to be managed and therefore makes life that little bit more difficult for him in this sense.
Tears and tantrums.
Much, much reading.
Only 15 mins to home. Whoop.
No more hotels. Whoop.
Crying. Yeah – this was good and needed.
Resolution – no more saying nothing.
Kitties – it’s so lovely to see them every night after months in a hotel. Yay kittie kids.
Happy 100th Chicken lovely!
100 Chickens! Oh my….
Wishing for some sort of time machine gizmo to allow you to continue your not-doing a while longer, or to give you (and anyone else, really) a chance to drop into the not-doing any time you want…but alas…reality.
-knowing that darkness ends at some point
Oh, for not doing! And hugs for the feeling bad. And yay for water and gangster voices. And may I say “Bavarian Variant” reminded me of some kind of gourmet donut, perhaps one with lavender lemon creme or some such. 🙂
Chaaaaa chickens (turn and face the range)
My cousin is leaving today for Afghanistan. We are all understandably freaked out. All good thoughts appreciated.
Today would’ve been my Gran’s 83rd birthday. Being from a non-denominational family with everyone else who celebrates all the usual holidays, 4th of July was one we could all get down with and did. I miss everyone.
Miscommunication with a friend. Flipping out on the friend when I finally saw him. Feeling bad about it.
Using NVC to express what the problem was with the friend, being able to ask for what I wanted and being heard. No hard feelings on either side. Amazing. (and *thank you* for introducing me to the technique)
Drawing, lots of drawing.
Painting in the yard.
Water balloon fight with the boys on Sunday. Fun fun fun.
Hummingbird feeding season started yesterday. Heading out to the park soonestly to go do so. Yay park!
Remembering Floradix Iron + Herbs and having more energy now than I’ve had in a while.
Re-starting my yoga practice.
Shiva Nata to The Clash and to the Doors. Yay flailing!
.-= Andi´s last post … Drawings Drawings Everywhere =-.
Hurrah again for 100 Chickens! Havi, hope your mini-break will have a cumulative effect and keep you feeling rested in the coming weeks!
Here’s my week:
-Tired of internal plumbing issues. Lost precious non-work hours each night this week to feeling ill.
+Much more good than hard!
+Took care of minor health issue. Made plans to address plumbing issue.
+Lovely conversations with gentleman friend this week. Fun, stimulating, sexy.
+Watching supreme court nominee Elena Kagan’s brilliant mind in action.
+Loooong weekend up ahead!
+Academic writing and involvement in academic communities.
+Reached out to a friend even though I felt like she hasn’t made time for me lately. Of course, she’s overwhelmed, and my reaching out made a difference. Yay for erasing old patterns!
+Less humid but still warm weather is good for me, and good for the dog. 🙂
.-= Dawn´s last post … All the Monsters Have Hearts =-.
Chicken Amnesty! Chicken Amnesty! Hello everybody, I’ve got chicken amnesty.
-Time stuff. Friday already. Somebody asks me what I did yesterday and I can name like two things. Even though it *felt* like a seriously full day with Much Progress. And then monsters go off.
-Lot of monster action in general, because I’m thinking about stuff like new services, starting a blog, and aaaaaah
-Thinking that I messed up one of my long-term projects so now it’s not coming together and it’s all my fault… more monsters
-Still struggling with the part-time job of Perfectionistic Doom
-Bored with dating yet pushing myself to do it anyway for some reason(??)
-Audition coming up where I’m supposed to cry on camera and I do not know how. Arg.
-Birthday vacation (uh yes, I was still on vacation at the beginning of the week; no, that wasn’t like two weeks ago. hm.). Going to NYC to escape the pressure I was under on the farm? *Totally worked.* And I did tons of shiva nata in Battery Park, yo.
-Afterward, sitting down in front of a very, very dusty Marketing Plan… and actually remembering to start by doing stuff in the soft for the avoidance and resistance.
-And then: Flow!
-Magically able to take one thing at a time, even though the list of Things my Biz Wants is long and monster-ridden.
-Monthly lists of goals. Heart. I am almost done with June list and so looking forward to July list!
-The newly elected junior senator of What I Want Out of Life is doing a bang-up job in his first weeks. And sending me cute flirty notes.
@Wormy – oh man, moving is the heartachiest.
100 Chickens, hurrah!
–Dreadful headaches. Yargh.
-Struggling to keep a couple of bored kids interested in learning math during their summer vacation. Sigh.
+Latest painting sold less than 24 hours after posting!
+Brilliant new ideas for the bored kids.
+Mini-vacation at the beach!
Happy 100th Chicken, everyone! And happy July 4th to the US folks!
.-= Barbara J Carter´s last post … Little-Bitty Dot Painting “Dots 16? =-.
-doing a favor for a friend that took 4 hours instead of 1
-not sleeping as well lately
-daily summer thunderstorms (yay!) are preceded by throbbing pain in my knee
-finished and delivered 3 chapters of curriculum revisions
-sushi date night
-two evenings out with friends
-idea for new project
.-= Katie Hart´s last post … Yoga for People Who Dont Do Yoga – 1 =-.
100 Chickens! This may call for a celebratory dance… funky chicken anyone? 😉
And yay! for napping! I’m relearning the fine art myself, and oh boy has it been wonderful 😀
Alrighty chickens, let’s round you up!
– dealing with internal stuff that has been expressing itself in unhealthy ways… and trying to be kind to myself in the process
But wow… just realized I can’t think of anything else!
So. The Good;
– My sweetheart’s job is continuing to go very, very well
– I sold something I’ve been wanting to get rid of for over a year (blech! clutter!), which is going to help tremendously with bill stress (yay! less stress!)
– I had my first recorded session, which went beautifully… though listening to myself was very weird at first (first thought; “do I really sound like that?”)
– I scheduled a (free!) consult with Catherine of Be Awesome Online
– I’m having a cartoon made by Amy, of Amy’s Not Dead Yet
– Playing bell-ringing games with my puppy is WAY more fun that getting stressed and upset with her
– and oh, yeah… Shiva Nata in my mail box! 😀 (does a little Shiva Nata happy dance)
There has been so much good this week, I’m fairly certain there was more hard too, but I just can’t even remember it!
Happy Weekend Chickeneers!
.-= Heidi´s last post … I have a confession to make =-.
100 Chickens! That’s a whole hatchery.
(I am already imagining next week’s. 101 Chickmatians! I would suggest Cruella DeMille as a band, but I suspect it’s been done.)
Deep blue sea.
Nothing to look at but all that blue.
This, exactly, is why I want a boat. (Except that open ocean flatly terrifies me. I was awakened to my fear of the ocean by – I am not making this up – Finding Nemo. The creatures don’t particularly scare me – but when they moved from the shelf into deep ocean, I realized that I was shaking in my seat. I have a fear of falling – and even knowing that I float, being over all that water where I can’t even see where I’d hit if I did fall… man.)
Update on last week: I resolved every single one of the can’t-talk-about-it Hards from last week. I am so pleased.
Sadly, I still have the crick in my neck.
* My sales page needs fixin’ and I have no idea how to fix it. (I know I’m not supposed to admit that, but it’s true.) I can see what’s wrong with it – but not what to do to make it better.
* In fact, my whole website suffers from “the cobbler’s children go barefoot”. Part of why I’m so good at delightineering for others is that I have distance. With my own business I’m way up close to it, so I can’t get the necessary business.
* The house is kind of a mess and I’m struggling with a monster who’s saying “why bother cleaning when it’s just going to get trashed again within the day?”
* The screen on my laptop cracked yesterday (it’s kind of weird, actually – the screen case is undamaged and the glass itself isn’t cracked; it’s like the LCD matrix has the actual crack), and although it works just fine with an external monitor, it’s no longer really a portable computer. And in order to get it fixed I’m going to send it in, which means being without a computer for a week or more.
* I’m having trouble figuring out the logistics of a new thing I want to offer on my site. (I have all but one thing figured out, but the one thing is a show-stopper.)
* Ow. Ow ow.
* I found some fabulous old 40s and 50s full-page car ads at the antique shop. They’re good for wall-hanging and deconstructing for blog posts. 🙂
* I’ve started drawing again in earnest, thanks to Misty and Amy.
* I have a Goal. It’s huge and I can see how to accomplish it, so it’s excellent for motivating me to get off my butt and start getting things done. 🙂
Have a splendid weekend!
.-= Chris Anthony´s last post … Everyday delight =-.
Happy centennial chicken! 🙂
Hard this week:
– Ongoing construction at my new house. Banging and hammering. Lots of people around all day long. Exhausting.
Good this week:
+ Canada Day! I love this country. 🙂
+ Canada Day–and the construction folks have stopped hammering for the weekend. Yay!
+ Writing has flowed like silk, like currents of air.
+ More wonderful folks signed up for Sovereignty Kindergarten. Some great questions about sovereignty on my blog this week.
+ Gorgeous, sunny morning after a week of clouds and rain.
Have a beautiful weekend, everyone. Hugs for the hard, and celebrating the good with you.
Bok bok-AWK! <- happy chicken
Congrats for 100 weeks of chicken-osity, Havi!
-The blog-post-writing well is currently dry, y'all. I'd deeply appreciate any suggestions or questions or requests you might have for what you'd like to read about organization, productivity and/or creativity on the Sorted blog
-Went for a fairly long bike ride yesterday and my knees are still very grouchy
-Just not feeling the funk this morning, and I'm not sure why
-Had an initial interview for a job I'd love to get yesterday (fingers crossed!)
-Watching my wirehaired dachshund tear around the backyard last night, getting all her little-dog energy out
-Three days now of beautiful, cooler weather, a most welcome break from the scorcher that was last week
-My knees might be annoyed, but the rest of me loved that bike ride
Hope everyone else has a wonderful weekend and (for those in the U.S.) a happy Fourth!
.-= Catherine Cantieri, Sorted´s last post … Got 15 minutes Get organized- Part II =-.
Oh Havi, I can relate to snapping at kids when you’ve been pushed past the point of no return. Hugs for the hard from this HSP.
WOW. The good this week! One hundred chickens! Can you imagine having one hundred happy chickens running around your backyard?!
To virtual chickens!
– My job. Still.
– My coworker putting in her two weeks one day before me so now I feel like I need to stay.
– Sitting down to meditate and crying out of nowhere. And then some more later that night.
– The not-knowing what the heck that was about.
– Insomnia – a number of bouts this week – and tired eyes and mind as evidence.
– Those blasted ice cream trucks that troll my neighborhood with the awful music that haunts you for blocks! OH MY GOSH. Would I get arrested if I messed with their speakers in the middle of the night?
– I paid off the last of my medical expenses from 2004. It took me five and a half years but I PAID IT ALL OFF. Major, major good this week.
– I’m ballroom dancing again! Whoop!
– My dancer teacher’s name is Johnny. Yes. Like in Dirty Dancing. *Your dance space, my dance space*
– Going to Lilith Fair at the Gorge Amphitheatre this weekend with my sweetie.
That is some serious good.
Wishing you all big breaths of aliveness this weekend.
100 chickens! I’ll play my Sandra Boynton Philadelphia Chickens CD in celebration!
–Our annual weekend-long party, aka Horde Weekend. Most years, I get very anxious in the days leading up to the event, but then I end up relaxing and enjoying myself. This year…not so much. Oh, there were good moments, but I spent a lot of time cooking, cleaning, and feeling overwhelmed — and with only very occasional exceptions, nobody kept me company in the kitchen. Sometimes that was just fine, as it gave me a bit of needed solitude, but other times — well, it made me feel that I was not the reason people had come to the party. 🙁
–Ongoing money anxiety, and corresponding family-will-be-upset anxiety.
–It has not been a good week (or, for that matter, a good month) for working on my dissertation proposal. Too many other demands on my energy. Drat.
–The other members of my household noticed how hard I was working, and gave me frequent expressions of appreciation and gratitude. That really helped. They also all pitched in and shared the load in their own ways.
–We have a new cat! She’s part Siamese, very distinctive-looking, about 8 months old, sweet and friendly. The adoption agency was calling her Pearl, and though I usually change a new pet’s name when she joins my family, this time I decided that the name suited her; besides, this way I get to be Mother of Pearl. 🙂
–I’ve been working on establishing some new self-nurturing habits and routines. So far, so good.
–Fabulous artist date this week: I got to hang out with seven cats while waiting to fill out the paperwork for my new one. They all seemed to like me; I felt like the Cat Whisperer.
Neither hard nor good, but important:
–I’ve been feeling the need for a lot of reflection and contemplation this week. I’m taking stock.
Enjoy the rest of your Pirate Queen Vacation, Havi! I hope it will be filled with only peaceful, positive sights and sounds from now on! Much love to all the Chickeneers — public and private, readers and writers alike. Onward to glorrrrrrry!
.-= Kathleen Avins´s last post … Intention =-.
Yay 100 chickens!
– Wanted to be nice so got out of bed and drove my boyfriend to work this morning and locked myself out of the apartment in the process.
– The US and Chile out of the World Cup.
– My neck hurts.
– I don’t know if I was very productive this week. And guilt. Guilt for not being productive. And guilt for having guilt for not being productive. Rinse and repeat.
– The rain came back.
– I have started asking for things that I need and omg I’m actually receiving them, including *gasp* reassurance and comfort.
– Germany is still in the World Cup! Yay!
– Shiva Nata DVD arrived and “wow” . . . that’s all I can say “wow”. It’s like I can literally feel myself changing. Exciting but strange!
– People want to hire me! Monies!
Happy weekend everyone! 🙂
@Kathleen I didn’t know anyone else had heard that Philadelphia Chickens cd!
Congratulations on the 100 chickens, Havi!
-I worked so many hours this week. I dealt with overwhelming email, tons of writing, tons of client stuff, etc. It all went well, and my clients were happy, but yesterday I realized that I felt like one of those hamsters on a wheel and was having panic attacks at six am about my email. Not good. The worst part is I put systems in place to avoid this and they are clearly not working.
-My house is still a mess, which would normally really bother me, but I’ve been so busy/exhausted/in a constant state of panic over work that I’m kind of okay with it.
-Had some awesome meetings with wonderful people this week. Had consulting with Catherine Caine, who really helped me figure out some business stuff, and helped an old co-worker start a business that is going to help communities and neighborhoods in tough areas.
-All of my clients were sweet and generous and fun, and no one wanted edits on anything, which is always a nice compliment.
-Still feeling the urge to write, which is great. Now I just need to find time to make it happen.
-Starting our first mini-subscription program for the business on Monday, which I’m seriously excited about.
.-= Holly´s last post … Friday Roundup- On roundtables- free consultations- and being naked on your blog no seriously =-.
I love being part of a centennial celebration. How appropriate that there will be fireworks all weekend.
-Gah, more not knowing about the pathology report results. Which has led to snappish ugliness on my part, and so much sobbing. And sleep loss. And need for valium.
-Really hard week in the marriage and thinking about breaking up over it. Lots of yelling and fighting and not much of the comforting I need right now.
-Ferret friend getting sicker and sicker with lymphoma. Not knowing what to do. Endless phone tag with the vet and still no answer.
-Fight with ex because he “forgot” to take daughter to guitar lesson I am paying for.
-My boundaries are shot.
-Really hard throw-down meeting with new company director for resources
-Exhaustion: physical, mental, emotional
-Oh, the money problems. June was SO FREAKING EXPENSIVE.
+ Surprising good talk with new director,and remembering that new people bring new energy and new ideas and can say to people “that’s the past, let it go, let’s move forward” and perhaps even make it happen
+ Liking him, and hope for liking the 2nd new boss I’m getting in July
+ Knowing I did a damn fine job in the meeting and thinking that I will get the Cadillac of resources.
+ Today at 315 is my follow up appointment and I’m pretty sure I’ll have the path reports.
+ My husband is coming with me to the appointment.
+ Lots of careful checking in by my mother, who I do not have a connection with, which makes me think she may actually love me a little
+ Very sweet comment from a blogger on my tight underwear blog
+ Girls night with my kiddo last night, including a veddy fawncy dinner out and watching the delightful Miss Potter movie, which still warms my heart
+ Two (count them, TWO!) at-home, short yoga classes done this week. First exercise I’ve done since April, and it did not make me bleed.
+ New hormone treatment (bcps) seems to not have the same crazy hormonal affect the Aygestin had. Relief.
.-= lynn @ human, being´s last post … Tight underwear =-.
Congratulations on the Chicken Century! And thank you, Havi, for the amnesty!
-Massive internal re-arranging since Camp Biggificiation. Who knew so much garbage had to go?
(Who knew the empty space was so vast?)
-The tired. The Not-Sleeping is back.
-Fleas. Oh dear.
-The dog feels better. (And she’s very clean!)
-The weather has (dramatically) improved. (We all feel better about this one.)
-The sunflowers are soaring tall and starting to bloom. -Cucumbers!!
-Yay me! I am a Chickeneer!
In honor of the one hundredth chicken: a poem.
“The Legend Of One Hundred Chickens”
One hundred chickens set out to sea!
Yes – one hundred chickens on a ship.
Sunlight danced brightly on the water,
what a wonderful day for a trip!
One chicken hoisted the Mainstay,
and others – they swabbed the deck.
One chicken thought she’d forgot to pack lunch,
so a few of them ran off to check.
Up in the Crow’s Nest one chicken napped,
and another, he watched the waves.
It was such a splendid sight to see:
one hundred chickens, like feather-y pirates they behaved!
Then they heard footsteps approaching,
they looked up as the sound drew near.
It was their Captain, Pirate Queen Havi!
The chickens danced and they cheered.
And so they sailed off and became legends,
their story, it would be forever told.
For who ever heard of one hundred chickens on a ship?
It sure was a fantastic sight to behold!
And this week in Kailand~
~Feeling super, duper stuck. Bleh.
~Having to resolve to limit my use of the internet to a half-hour a day until I can get my inner-stuff in control.
~Feeling irresponsible for letting my inner-stuff get so mixed up and out of control in the first place.
~Something going wrong with the bank’s servers which prevented us from buying groceries for two days.
~Watching my newly developed healthy eating habits slowly slip away under all the Yuck, Stuck and Stress.
~Having one of “those” days all week. All month, actually. Ewww.
~Writing my first poem in quite a while!
~It’s July! HOORAY! No more June. Goodbye, June.
~Knowing that the Yuck, Stuck and Stress will eventually go away.
~Getting to go see fireworks TWICE this week. Yay!
~Being able to snuggle my newly adopted kitty whenever I feel too Yuck for words.
~Buying a This-Is-How-Kai-Does-“Grown-Up” costume.
~Taking time out to unplug and take care of myself, even if it was caused by a crisis.
Happy cheers for everyone’s good, and hugs for all the hard.
Happy Friday! <3!
100 Chickens! That’s quite a bit of hard, and a whole lot of good too!
The hard around here this week:
– breaking up with a friend, probably in a pretty un-NVC and un-sovereign way. I had had enough for a long time, and had tried everything I could to make that relationship work better for me, to no avail. I couldn’t take it any longer, but I’m still feeling bad at having had to put an end to it.
– my gentleman friend being away for the whole week, once again
– being busy, busy, busy with all kinds of things when I would have liked to have time for myself to work on my things
– going to pick strawberries with mom! It had been way too long since the last time, and I’m really glad we made it happen this week. Actually, we enjoyed it so much that we’re planning to go again, for more strawberries, and then for blueberries once they’re in season. Yay!
– only a few more days to go before my gentleman friend comes back
– that thing I’ve been alluding to for well over a year? I’ve put the homepage online last night! I’ve done it! I’ve done the giant baby step of putting a little bit of it out there! No, I’m not linking to it just yet, but soon, probably. *astonished happy dance with a side of freaking out* 🙂
A century of chickens! Hurrah!
Sending lots of wishes for a way to do more of the nothing. And I am with you on the blue. Oh, the blue.
– Very unproductive week after my very productive Monday. I’m not entirely sure if it’s that I need rest or that I am avoiding something. I suspect the latter.
– Resistance in the form of “I don’t deserve this” has popped up and is no fun at all.
– It’s already July. I did want to get my etsy shop up and running this summer, and now it feels like I’ve lost a whole month where I could make progress.
– My back does not like sitting at the computer, even for short spurts.
– It takes so long to do little code-y bits that it makes me wonder why on earth I ever thought I wanted to be a programmer. Not that I ever really was after all that. But it does make me think of all the years I could’ve possibly spent in college on something more useful to me now.
– I had a very productive Monday and managed to launch my postcard thing. Yay! The pup was such a sweetheart that day and kept dragging me away from the computer for walks, after which I’d come back refreshed with ideas.
– The Wildwood is dry and we’ve gotten in 2 hikes so far this week.
– I have actual visual “proof” as to how lovely Shiva Nata can be for my photography; I just need to write/show it someday.
– Peach pie.
– Geneen Roth.
Hugs to everyone for the hard – and YAY for all the good.
.-= Elizabeth´s last post … antique =-.
— Way too much walking, stiff and sore everything. I guess this is Deity’s way of making me feel better about learning to drive?
— Got some bad news about my academic status. Going to have to wait another month to (i hope i hope i hope) get my MA diploma.
— Had to go to the health clinic for an allergic reaction to an insect bite.
— Some Difficult Conversations with the husband.
— Litha ritual this past Sunday was amazing. I made some real progress in meditation.
— One of my neighbors runs a nonprofit kids’ organization, and is hiring tutors! So I may have at least a part-time job.
— I think the series of Difficult Conversations is actually getting somewhere.
— Yesterday I was walking my dog and we met three adorable little girls who were playing outside and stopped to pet and play with him. It was a happy, hopeful sort of thing.
One hundred Chickens, that’s a lot of eggs! Congratulations.
Also, I heard that the Bavarian Variant was really from Cleveland.
I totally failed to chicken last week because of Mom’s wedding, so here’s two weeks worth of checking in, condensed into one big post:
– Family. They exhaust every resource I have, so much that I was basically a zombie when I got back from the trip.
– Still insanely busy with yet more deadlines, though I’ve managed to gently ease some space into the mix.
– My journey to my brother’s house, rather than taking 11 hours, took 17 due to a giant storm in Chicago. I visited Indianapolis airport. Joy.
– Had a ridiculously hard time getting fed properly on my trip. Oh food issues, your origins are so painfully obvious.
– Got tired of defending everything and repeating everything and listening to my mother narrate everything (internal monologue is called internal for a reason omg) and by the end of the trip was Very Resistant to ever coming back.
– Am still tired enough that I’m not getting my 2nd wind after tv time, and so there’s really only one installment of Brains per day for me to use on the epic piles of work.
– Struggling with the fact that July is the month of “no, I can’t afford your [thing]” for all the people I normally buy from cheerfully.
+ My niece, still adorable.
+ Wedding went well, Mom’s new husband is very nice, and I did not actually kill anyone.
+ Got to see a friend up in Chicago, who was super kind and understanding with my tired, and drove me to the airport at ass-o’clock.
+ Getting back into work is going pretty well, actually.
+ Used yesterday’s installment of Brains to paint, and am pleased with the results so far.
+ i’m slowly getting back into the rhythm of my life.
+ New mastermind group is pretty cool, actually, and I’m looking forward to it despite being the only non-KT member.
+ Friends visiting in July & August from All Over! Brazil, DC & Kansas. Awesome. Expensive, but awesome.
+ New hair color, though unusually normal-person-ified for me, still looks quite nice.
+ My dress at the wedding was actually quite cute, and will be used at least once more.
+ I’m so glad to be back in California weather!
+ My cats have forgiven me for leaving, and didn’t barf on anything of note while I was gone.
.-= Amy Crook´s last post … Meet Wendy’s Monster- Ruby =-.
I wonder how things will have changed for all us, not just by the time 200 chickens come around but 101.
– scary pain in my foot and neck and wrist with assoicated miserablenss and tiredness
– stress at the day job
– a monster or two leaping about
– crazy golf and other good times with my family
– delicious dinner (chilli cheese garlic bread yum) with a treasured friend
– my novel’s shape emerging, the beauty and playfulness, of it and my excitement and happiness at how it will develop
– reading a brilliant book (popco by scarlett thomas)
– warmth and sunshine
– taking action to help my neck/wrist pain
– physio working out that I have injured my foot in a different way to how most people who have my injury – hence why most of the excercises weren’t helping, and giving me ones that do – yay!
– chickening. 🙂
Have beautiful weekends.
Happy official 100 Chickens!!!!
For reasons unknown, today I’m Chickening to the tune of Sussudio. Oh I just say the word oh! Chick-chick chickening!
Ok, enough of that. Bring on the chicken!
The Hardness? Having a highly-sensitive week, doubts, nervousness, and a limping cat.
The Goodness? Doing Things anyway. Making progress. Maybe finding Cohorts. Reading “The Passage” on my ereader. (awesome non-romantic viral vampire Armageddon novel) Sleeping late. The cat stopped limping. Plenty of slushy frozen Vitamin Waters.
Now to engage in my other Friday ritual of clicking links and discovering the awesome that is The Chickeneers!
I don’t normally do this, but…it’s been an exceptional week and it’s good to talk to people who don’t know other people who know me, and 100 is a pretty big milestone anyways, so…
– Finding out just how sucky things have been for a friend lately. Like, stalkers-and-abuse sucky, with a(n un)healthy dose of getting-blamed-for-it on top.
– Getting confirmation that something I’ve wanted basically my whole life is going to be a LOT harder than it ever should be, and involve lots more doctors and poke-y things and such. And a lot of scary, because of the meds I’m on and what they could do. Deep down, I expected this, but that doesn’t make it any easier, and I’d been hoping they’d say it wasn’t a problem and I could do things the normal-people way.
– Toilet-training cats is nowhere near as easy as the “potty train your cat” book claims. We had accidents. Again.
– Being back home with the silly no-tail cats. Who have mysteriously over the week we were out of town gotten so well-behaved they no longer have to be kicked out into the hall at bedtime.
– FINALLY getting around to putting stuff up in my etsy store. Whew! And doing a swap with a semi-infamous friend.
– I should also probably note here that I’ve got an awesomely supportive, understanding spouse-critter who tries his best to help me with the hard…even when it occasionally involves me ranting at him about how unfair life is in general.
.-= Ava´s last post … Jane =-.
WooHoo! 100 Chickens! May there be many 100’s more!
Saying of the week: WORK expands to fill ALL available free time.
– Insanely long days at work and still feeling completely overwhelmed by what is left to do on my desk. Can’t catch up. Not even getting close. And I had the week off from my doctoral program.
– Cars consuming lots of money. $470 for one, $760 for another. Groan.
– Lack of sleep, lack of workouts due to insanely long work days.
– Husband’s cousin in bad shape after 15 radiation treatments for a brain tumor. Not looking good at all.
+ Birthday cake with candles from my Wednesday night students!!!!! I haven’t had candles in a very long time. My students are the best….
+ Research sessions in the lab with my students. They are great to work with.
+ Pleasant weather which I define as being in the 70’s
+ Birthday cards from my residents including one that plays “Celebration” when you open it. Made me smile a LOT!
+ My student passed his oral retake exam and stays off the probation list as a result.
Have an awesome holiday weekend everyone no matter how you choose to celebrate it!
Ahoy, centennial chickens! And a poem from Kai!
This week’s hard:
– A difficult Luddite client with a project that gives outdated advice, but it’s not my job to comment on the content. So very, very hard to keep my nose out of it.
– Lots of things on my plate in the next couple of weeks, and knowing that I’m not going to be able to get as much done as I would like to when I would like to.
– Getting caught in a really nasty storm at the end of last Sunday’s show, which was very very slow.
This week’s good:
– Massive rush wholesale order received, made, and shipped.
– Lining up several editorial projects that will come in over the next couple of weeks.
– A nice evening with my sister at my niece’s softball game, then spending all of Wednesday with my niece, including a girls’ lunch out and going to the zoo.
– Seeing the elephants’ new home taking shape at the zoo, and knowing that my contributions are helping make that spectacular new space happen.
.-= Lori Paximadis´s last post … Tetris =-.
Great blog, sounds like a good week!
I just love reading all this stuff, being a Pisces and highly sensitive person myself, I recognise (not that I’m comparing) a lot.
Great to read by the way, that your business took off when you let go 😉 Funny how it works, ha?
finally made real steps towards doing MY THING: my own business is open for business! I’m so proud 😉
More relaxing, less stressing
More laughing, even when things don’t turn out the way I want them to.
Sun is shining, outside and in my heart
Not so nice:
my website is technically a little harder to accomplish than I thought, the words are written, but how to get php, mysql, domain and so on to talk to each other…
And my reaction towards it sometimes, not letting go, getting stuck op perfectionism…
1st. Congrats on the centennial chicken. 100 weeks of fowl play is quite the accomplishment.
2nd. I didn’t comment yesterday because it was Canada Day, which I like to keep internet free, so let me belatedly raise a glass (of scotch, natch) to your Infamous Zebra Period. Black, White and Read all over.
PS I like that I don’t have to apologize to you for making terrible puns. It’s one of your underrated character traits.
One hundred chickens! I can’t help chiming in.
– Wisdom tooth removal yesterday.
— Even worse, the amount of paralyzing dread that preceded it, leading to several days of painful brainfog.
– Still kind of foggy and not back up to speed (who am I kidding, I wasn’t expecting to be).
– The wisdom tooth is one of a number of nagging physical issues which add up to making it hard to see myself as a healthy person.
– No art getting done.
– Leaving the office with a compliment from my boss about how organized I am and she’s not worried about me being out for a few days. I don’t feel that organized but I’ll take what I can get here.
– A lovely weekend on beautiful back roads.
– Financial moves that will save me $100 in interest charges a month for a while.
– Giving myself permission to under-do-it for a few days.
That’s what I’ve got right now…
.-= Rachel´s last post … The Brand Pyramid =-.
Happy 100 Chickens! The best weekly ritual.
Haven’t participated in a while…
-girlfriend health problems, emergency room visit, worrying, pain, me feeling like I can’t help
-accidentally stood somebody up. was supposed to get together to play guitar with someone I barely know, but completely missed the appointment for no other reason than…a mistake? I never miss appointments, so beating myself up followed
-knowing that I need more time away from routines to just be. but not making it happen.
-hours of Buffy The Vampire Slayer while resting with girlfriend
-hanging out at friends house to watch fireworks. not realizing that the trees in her backyard obscured everything! didn’t matter. had a great time just drinking wine and talking.
Happy Chick’m all
.-= Christine Bougie´s last post … No More Potlucks =-.
100 chickens! Yay!
– Still with the migraines. They mysteriously appear whenever I’m on my way to the day job or sometimes just when I get up in the morning when I’m supposed to go to the day job. Yeah, some mystery.
+ I’m signed up to have a booth at Northern Michigan Lamb & Wool Festival and at Fiber Expo, plus sales for two guilds I’m in.
+ I’ve been getting stuff for my booth display. I have a sign! It’s so cool!
+ New wholesale customer coming Sunday to buy more yarn because the first yarn she bought sold really quickly!
+ I’m knitting two socks at a time from one of the sock blanks I dyed. So cool!
.-= Riin´s last post … Yep- I’m up to stuff =-.
Congrats on 100 Chickens! Yay!
Hard: Mega insomnia night before last.
Feeling wrecked from too little sleep Monday.
Reading frakkin’ epic long bank disclosure statements. Why are they always so long that only 1/2 way through you end up timed out of your half completed application process?!? GGrrr.
Good: Declared Monday a ‘Day of Improvement’ since I was exhausted, so instead of screwing up detailed work stuff, listened to a mojo marketing podcast that’s been sitting on my desktop for ages, read lots of useful stuff, did yoga. Love the ‘Day of Improvement’ as solution for what to do when exhausted that’s still totally useful. Mind may in fact be more open to just taking info in in those conditions.
Made it to end level of Portal (though it did keep me up WAY too late Sun. night and I’m still not done).
Actually accomplished some useful work after I gave up from insomnia and got up for a couple hours in the middle of the night.
Hit an art festival today. Saw some cool stuff. 1 photo guy’s artist statement made me laugh with its awesomeness. He’s still looking to be a rockstar astronaut ninja. Had fun shooting the ski resort locale it was at.
.-= claire´s last post … Life of Art SitRep 21 =-.
Hullo, hullo, hullo! (Bwawk! Bwawk! Bwawk!)
* asthma worse, not better. Not crippling, but not a happy camper about having to dose myself with Robitussin on top of my meds to get through social occasions.
* bugs. Yeesh. Especially around some of the damage caused by last month’s flood. And baby spider in the china cabinet, gah.
* having to punt several projects. The ideas were there, but me making enough time to execute them didn’t happen.
* not hearing from some folks. Rationally, I know it’s not personal (especially given how it can take me many moons to respond to non-business messages, and I trust my friends to understand that). Emotionally, though, the Monster of People Dropping Me Without Warning Because I Crossed a Line (Or Failed to Cross It) And Am Too Clueless Even To Realize It is having a field day.
* house needs to be cocktail-party-ready by Tuesday. It’s nowhere near as decluttered as I’d hoped to get it by now.
* a couple situations where I felt humor-impaired. Argh.
* went contra-dancing for the first time in 18 months. Helped another couple figure out how to waltz (go me!).
* Wimbledon has been awesome-crazy this year.
* having the experience, confidence, and resources to host cocktail parties and luncheons as needed. Including knowing that people will forgive the clutter as long as I don’t dwell on it, and because I’ll feed them enough.
* likewise having the experience and confidence as a lay leader to roll with a complete change of order of service ten minutes before said service
* really clicking with a new colleague
* John Hiatt’s new album. Man can write.
Heaps of encouragement and soft landings to all! – m.
.-= Mechaieh´s last post … bearing witness =-.
Congratulations to us all on 100 Chickens!
^ _still_ have not done yoga! Though part of the time it wasn’t my fault because there was a giant TV in my exercising space.
^ It’s now semi-officially the coldest winter on record and I’m bloody sick of being cold and stiff!
^ I’ve been angry a lot this week. Hormones.
^ Boyfriend and I both got food poisoning earlier in the week. Blerky.
^ I promised B I’d make a scarf for her once I’ve finished S’s scarf, but all I have swirling through my head is a design for a coffee mug warmer.
^ The more I vow to save money, the more I want to buy things. Argg!
^ I can walk 2km now without batting an eyelid.
^ I finished S’s scarf about an hour ago, in time for his birthday.
^ I’m less anxious about the trip to Europe now and getting really excited.
^ I just jumped into taking part in Friday Chickens without even thinking about if I was ‘allowed’ to or not.
^ I’m starting to become aware of the terrible things my brain sometimes says to myself, which is the first step.
^ I wrote!
.-= Katie´s last post … Half Year Review =-.
Sorry lovelies, I’m being A Bad Chickeneer and not reading and just commenting. (Sorry).
~ China Visas (we’re running 2 classes in China for the first time… Complicated. Ow. Scary. Ow.)
~ Thinking ‘We won’t be able to do that in England.’
~ Both having a hard time at the same time. Eeep.
~ Thinking about my Kitty going to live with someone else.
~ My People. (I have People!)
~ Yoga – who KNEW?! My spine feels. so. good.
~ Looking forward to English things.
~ Ideas ideas ideas and maybe some time in Sept/Oct/Times Onwards to do things about them.
~ The Gentle Internets.
~ Harry Dresden.
And, Havi, oh, the blue horizon. Makes my heart *ache* and *long*. Lucky I’m moving back to within 20 minutes drive of 180 degree sea…
.-= Andrew Lightheart´s last post … The 10 unconscious beliefs of the interrupter =-.
Happy 100! Happy that I found the chickens.
-School holiday/World Cup/going-to-bed-late routine that is making all of us cranky and tired. Hard to get back to something that makes a little bit more sense.
-Some up and down friend emotions including guilt, sadness and anger. Some of it is definitely not mine, some is but I don’t know how to deal with it and some I just don’t know. All of it making me wobbly. There must be some sovereignity stuff in there but I don’t know where to begin with this. Just going to leave it be for now.
-Some armed robbery stuff (failed, gunshots but nobody was hurt) involving our neighbours that has left me on edge with lots of stomache tension. Wish I knew how to get rid of the tension. I also feel a bit weird and unpatriotic to even mention it here but it is there and part of the hard this week.
-My birthday and sharing it with a dear friend for the 16th time.
-Yellow and a handbag!
-Lots of time with all my people.
-Taking the kids to a World Cup match.
-Shivanata dvd finally arriving at the end of the week. Excited to start!
Have a great weekend.
OK, it’s Saturday, and I’m late, but hey, I’m here. And it’s been a rough couple of weeks…
Job interview. Followed by job offer. Followed by all sorts of internal issues about being trapped in Corporate America.
Husband rear-ended while stopped again on Monday. This time the car’s toast. Why can’t people pay attention to where they’re driving. And for goodness’ sake GET OFF THE CELL PHONE!!!! Therefore got nothing business related done this week while nursing loopy, concussion-headed husband.
Job offer. I guess it’s proof that I’m still employable, if I want to be. (That last part is a good step forward, too… “if I want to be”.)
Kitties have new organic food that’s good for them and seem to be doing MUCH better physically.
Husband reminded me that I don’t have to do all of this myself – there are people out there that I can HIRE to help me. Oh. yeah. 😀
We have friends coming over tomorrow and food to grill, and the house managed to stay relatively usable despite all the stress this week!
.-= Romilly´s last post … Why I Carve Rubber Stamps =-.
I haven’t done this for a while, but Chicken 100 seems like a great time to start back up.
-I don’t get it. I’ve been watching what I eat, I’ve been going to the gym more, and I’ve been gaining weight *anyway*?!
-I need my social security card to change my name on some documents — but I lost it, and needed those documents (with the name changed!) to get a new card!!!
-Also, a crazy line at the office
-The price of replacement passports is going up. Boo.
+Shakespeare on the Park!
+The people at the SSA office were as helpful and sympathetic as possible.
An old friend I decided (and told this decision to) not spend time with anymore is trying to weasel back into my life. I don’t think she’s a bad person, just bad for me. I don’t want to be mean, so now I’m just ignoring her email.
Worried about why I’ve gotten no bee swarms this summer. And wondering if the swallow family on the back porch are finding enough insects to feed themselves and their family of five.
Feeling overwhelmed by the degradation of Earth.
Only one week left before my sweet husband comes home.
Seeing the five baby swallows in their nest box.
Planning lots of exciting things for kids to do in nature at work; remembering how much I love my job!
Songs of Swainson’s thrushes filling the morning and evening air.
Happy 100 Chickens!
House is messy. I clean on the weekends and somewhere around Wed. night or Thurs. morning disaster seems to sneak in.
Lots of late night working this week. Keeping me away from things I want to be involved with.
Tired body and not eating right due to late nights.
Cool weather. Yay!
Fun,just right clients. Yay!
Getting to eat dinner on the water last night. Yay!
.-= Stacy´s last post … Sum… Sum… Summertime =-.