Where I cover the good and the hard in my week, visiting the non-preachy side of ritual and self-reflection.
And you get to join in if you feel like it.
Oh, man. So much to chicken!
Between re-integrating into daily life after my two weeks of Vicarage, and the wonderful week that was Rally (Rally!) #24…
Well, a lot happened. Internally, at least. I feel happy, peaceful and bubbly, all at the same time. Okay, chicken-chicken-chicken. It is good to be back.
This is right.
This is what the superpower I brought back with me from the Vicarage.
Missed bus? Stubbed toe? Terrible mood? Just fell on my ass? Nothing Is Wrong. This is really and truly okay. Not only that, but in this moment, just right now… maybe, possibly, This Is Right.
It’s taken eight years of training plus another week of negotiating with monsters to get to a point where this could work for me. But it’s working.
Silent retreat, again, still. YES.
It is blowing my mind how silent retreat just solves all the problems.
Bork Bork Bork.
B.O.R.K. = The Book of Rally Keys. Bork Bork Bork!
Which I wrote the day before Rally. It made everything better.
Bork Bork Bork is also how the Swedish Chef ends his muppet-ey songs.
It can also a language setting option in video games.
And Bork Bork Bork, the bad-ass blocker for the Windy City Rollers, is someone Havi accidentally sort of ate breakfast with once.
Also it may just be the most fun thing to say ever. Borkborkbork!
Next time I might…
Yes, even more than that.
Whenever I start with entry, everything goes marvelously. It is easy to remember that This Is Right, because it so obviously Right.
Whenever I convince myself that there’s no time, I have to employ a lot of intentional remembering that This Is Right.
(Note: this is also right!)
Take the nap as soon as it calls to me.
Do it like a Bond Girl would.
Best proxy ever.
- Got way overloaded the first night back from Vicarage because I wanted to tell R everything, and the thing with living on silent retreat is that post-it note descriptions of things take forever!
- Oh, internet.
- Internet is overwhelming and addictive. I didn’t miss it at all for 15 days and then whoosh, right back in. Pressing for pellets.
- An uncomfortable thing that I deeply dislike that hasn’t happened in years suddenly happened again, unexpectedly, in a situation where there wasn’t much I could do about. Flooded with memories from Then.
- A moment of worry leading to a moment of Rattled.
- Misunderstanding with playmate.
- Working in the evening.
- There is a lot going on in my life and business right now, and I think I say that a lot, and this needs to change, but in a good way.
- Operation Bork Bork Bork was a gigantic and unanticipated project, and meant I did not get nearly as much rest as I would have liked.
- Knowing what I want.
- Side effect of This Is Right: This week I was outrageously calm about everything.
- The uncomfortable thing that I dislike that reminded me of Then didn’t trigger me the way it used to. This is the fastest I have ever remembered that Now Is Not Then!
- The superpower of Not Being Impressed By Stuff Going Wrong (and realizing that it’s really just Stuff Appearing To Go Wrong. I had this superpower and it is the best.
- I made a wish that the misunderstanding dissolve in love, and it dissolved in love. Beautifully.
- Unexpectedly having the superpower of Everything Is Significantly Better Than I’d Expected. Like outdoor restrooms actually being really nice. Like the TSA people at the airport treating me with warmth, kindness and respect. And that whole process being so easy that I forgot to be in my stuff and go through trauma and pain from Then. I know, what?!?
- Stopping in (city) on my way back from the Vicarage and having lunch with my beloved Colleen. She is a sign-painter and friends with a monkey!
- Visiting a magical place with sun, skies, sea, grass and a bell (all my favorite things) with Colleen the Signmaker.
- “Honk if you love sanctuary!” The 1st in my new line of bumper stickers that promote loud disruptive acknowledgment of peacefulness and how wonderful it is.
- Hammock-napping at Stompopolis! The best.
- Someone I love has been clean for a whole year. A YEAR.
- Operation Bork Bork Bork made every single thing about Rally better, and I am feeling enormously pleased with myself for having pulled it off.
- All the useful things you learn when your life is on silent retreat.
- Everyone being wonderfully accepting and supportive about the gigantic surprise I brought home with me from the Vicarage.
- Flowers, everywhere! A house filled with flowers.
- Secret Flowers. Seekrit flowers! Even better.
- An unexpectedly sweet homecoming reunion with my playmate.
- My first Valentine since 4th grade!
- Being a Bond Girl. WIth a little help from Kyle.
- Morocco. As a proxy. And then Dublin, possibly not as a proxy.
- The superpower of Outstanding Public Transportation Alignment. Making all the right buses, missing all the right buses and going for all the right walks in the park instead. This Is Right.
- Noticing all the things that are working instead of everything that is incongruent
- Sweet loving reunion with the Playground! We twinkled at each other, it invited me to conduct, and then it beckoned and we played. It was incredible.
- Side effect of the Vicarage: feeling intense overwhelming appreciation and gratitude pretty much all the time. And liking it.
- Writing a vulnerable apology letter to someone I love, and saying: This Is Right. And it was.
- Rally! Rally! Every single thing about Rally. Every single person at Rally. Having the time of my life at Rally.
- Fake French Accent Sound Effect nautical and shivanautical spiraling multi-dimensional multi-axis compassing and encompassing. Honk honk!
- Lunch with Anna. Going to play at Stompopolis and running into Foxy Jess!
- A quiet, happy, loving heart. Humming away.
WHAM BOOM! Operations completed this week:
The phrase Whoosh Ha Mastodon Boom is secret agent code that means: this op is done, baby! It is often shortened to WHAM boom.
Operation POSTCARDS Wham boom!
Operation INTERVIEW A BOND GIRL Wham boom!
Operation ALL THE FLOWERS Wham boom!
Operation KIWI SLEEP Wham boom!
Operation PORTALS Wham boom!
Operation BORK BORK BORK Wham boom!
Whoosh Ha Mastodon Boom! Wham Boom! Wham Boom!
You may also shout (or whisper) other joyous words if you like.
A superpower I had this week…
So many superpowers! I especially liked the superpower of finding beauty everywhere. This was amazing.
I also had the superpower of knowing that stuff resolves itself. Each time I had a worry about something (“What about X?!”), I remembered: Oh right. It will resolve itself. And then it did!
Yes. And then it did.
And a superpower I want next week.
The superpower of Land Ho! Seeing land way before arriving, knowing that the good things are coming before they are obviously visible. Land Ho!
Playing live at the meme beach house — the Fake Band of the Week!
This week’s band comes via Molly, with a nod and a wink to the other wonderful people at Rally.
Sex And The Trade Winds
I guess they’re a surf band?
Though, of course, it’s really just one guy.
Hallo Hallo! I am saying Hallo Hallo. Announcement time.
Picture me wearing that crazy hat…
I’m going to recommend the monster manual & coloring book.
Because I never would have gotten to half the good things of this week without knowing how to gracefully navigate monster conversations.
That’s it for me …
Join my Friday ritual in the comments if you feel like it. Or call silent retreat!
We let people have their own experience. We’re supportive and welcoming. And we don’t give advice (unless people specifically ask for it).
Wishing you a glorrrrrrrrrrrrious day, a restful weekend and a happy week to come.
p.s. It’s fine if it’s not Friday anymore. There’s complete chicken amnesty — join in whenever (or not) and it’s no big deal.